Easy Tandoori style Baked Salmon
Any Indian will vouch for the delicious flavors that go into Tandoori spiced dishes such as chicken, vegetables and seafood. The Tandoor is a traditional clay oven used to make meats, seafood and even the ever popular Indian Bread, Naan. Most people don't actually own Tandoors since it is an open oven and suitable only outdoors or in well ventilated restaurants. However, the oven is a pretty good substitute for everyday cooking.
While Tandoori chicken is probably the most popular, a Tandoori Salmon is pretty darn good too. The spices are more or less the same. You could actually take the ingredients listed below and use it on chickens and other meats. The only thing that would vary is the cooking time.
Restaurants serve delightfully red tandoori dishes, however these many times have added artificial colors. I like using red paprika or Kashmiri red chili powder (spicy) to get a similar but healthier effect.
Time - 10 mins (prep) and 15-20 mins (cooking), 25 to 30 mins (Total)
For the marinade -
1/2 cup greek yogurt
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1 lemon cut into round slices
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon grated ginger
1 teaspoon minced garlic
1 teaspoon paprika
1 teaspoon Kashmiri red chili powder (or use another spoon of paprika)
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1 tsp ground coriander
1/2 tsp garam masala
1 tbs finely chopped fresh mint leaves
1 tbs oil for marinade (extra oil to grease pan)
2 medium sized Salmon filets (about one lb in all)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a roasting pan with foil. Lightly grease the foil with oil. And place lemon slices on the foil.
- Add all the marinade ingredients in a bowl and mix well.
- Dip the Salmon in the marinade and coat it well. Leave it in the bowl for about 5 minutes.
- Transfer Salmon filets to the foil lined roasting pan and place over the lemon slices. Dump any remaining marinade over the Salmon.
- Bake at 350 degrees for about 15 minutes. Then change setting to Broil on high and cook for another 3-4 minutes or until the fish has a nice char and is cooked. Keep a close eye and do not over bake.
- Transfer to a plate and serve with vegetables and rice or other grain.