Gluten-Free Blueberry Cranberry Crumble
Fruit crumbles are my go to desserts these days. I feel like they are healthier than a rich piece of chocolate cake or a bowl of pudding, and they are very easy to make. Besides, it is so much fun experimenting with different fruit combinations to see what works and what doesn't. I especially love a combination of sweetness and tartness, which is why I play around a lot with tart cherries and fresh cranberries.
The blueberry and Cranberry combination is fantastic both in terms of visual appeal as well as taste. I honestly ate up two bowls of this yesterday. My husband and kids shared the other two. My kids would have preferred the fruit mix to be a little sweeter, but I was very pleased with the sweetness level. You can play around to see how sweet or tart you like it.
For the Fruit Compote
1 1/2 cups fresh cranberries
2 cups fresh blueberries
1/4 cup sugar (or more depending on your preference)
1 1/2 tablespoons corn starch
1 tablespoon lemon juice
For the Crumble
1/2 cup rolled oats
1/2 cup gluten-free flour
2/3 cup brown sugar
1/3 cup melted butter
1. Pre heat oven to 350 degrees F.
2. In a medium sized pan add all the ingredients for the fruit compote and cook on medium heat until fruit is soft, about 8 to 10 minutes. Taste and adjust sweetness accordingly. Remember that you will also get some sweetness from the crumble topping.
3. Transfer to individual tart bowls or a single large pie bowl and set aside while you prepare the crumble.
4. To prepare the crumble, mix all the ingredients in a bowl. Then drop clumps of the crumble on top of the fruit.
5. Bake in the oven until crumble is golden brown (about 30 minutes if using the larger pie bowl, or about 20 minutes if baking in smaller tart containers). Let it cool slightly before serving.
Tip: You can prep the dish the day before and keep covered and refrigerated, and then pop in the oven the next day before serving.